Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sausage Pesto Pasta

My friend made this dish when she came home to stay with us after my mom passed away. I will be forever thankful for her kindness and generosity those ten days she stayed with us. Whenever I make this meal I think of her.

What you need
Smoked Turkey Sausage, The Hillshire farms kind
1/2 to 1 lb of greens. I used collards.
Bow tie Pasta. 1 lb. I use whole grain.
Pesto. I have used the one from the dairy case, the dry mix, and now a jarred. The jarred keeps the longest.

Boil pasta according to package directions.

In a large stockpot.... dutch oven.... your big pot with a lid, melt a little butter or olive oil on medium. Add greens and cover for a ten minutes. After ten minutes slice the sausage into bit size pieces and add to the pot. Cook for another five minutes.

Drain pasta, then add to pot. Add pesto to your taste. Hubby likes a little more, I like a little less.

Serve hot.

My friend said she also uses chicken sometimes, or kale.

Opinion: We love this. Even the kid will two helpings! Kind of a savory yet lightly salty meal. I use lower fat options minus the pesto, but I am sure it would be good with its full fat counter parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment