Wednesday, May 27, 2009

11th Night

Finally, a true home cooked meal for our family.  I have been thinking that I should take pictures of our meals.  Unlike many food bloggers that I read, I A. do not have a fancy camera, B. am a point and shoot kind of girl, C. have a simple old kitchen (i.e. no dishwasher, no fancy granite counter tops etc...) and D. I am not good with presentation.   I can cook a mean meal, but it is rarely pretty.  Do you really want to see pictures of my red Paula Deen cookware, which by the way is not all it is cracked up to be!  So maybe I will start small, but don't bash me if they are not the beautiful images you see on other websites.  

Tonight's dinner was a adaptation of a recipe that Pioneer Woman shared a few weeks ago.  Hubby and kiddo were both turning their noses up as I was preparing dinner.  You can check out www.thepioneerwoman.com for the original recipe.  I made ours with low fat ingredients and with chicken.  

Tonight's Meal

Lemon Pasta with Chicken
3  Larger Chicken Tenderloins
Lemon Pepper, I used McCormick that I swiped from our neighbors cabinet.  We were out.
10 oz thin spaghetti
2 lemons
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 cup + light sour cream
Fresh Parmesan Cheese grated (I got mine from the salad bar at Giant Eagle, saved lots!)
Flat leaf parsley if you feel adventurous

Coat chicken liberally with Lemon pepper.  Saute on medium for 4 to 5 minutes on medium.  Boil Spaghetti to package instructions.  Zest 1 lemon. 

Melt butter in skillet, add olive oil and garlic.  Simmer for a few minutes.  Add the juice of the lemon you zested.  Simmer for another minute.  Add the sour cream. Add zest.  I used a little over one cup, it just did not seam creamy enough.  This also took several minutes to combine thoroughly.  Be patient.  

Drain Spaghetti, make sure your chicken is not burning.  Add spaghetti to sauce and mix well.  I planned on serving it like this, but hubby was in the shower so I put in a casserole and baked it for about ten minutes with the chicken sliced on top, at 350.  

Remove from oven.  Sprinkle with cheese and sliced parsley. Squeeze lemon juice over top.  Serve hot.  

Opinion:  This was soooooo yummy.  Rich, yet light.  Hubby was surprised and loved it.  The lemon flavor was mild. I could have done without the parsley.  Lots of leftover pasta.  Hubby thought the sauce might be good with green onions added to it. 

Kid Opinion:  She ate it, but I could tell she was not in love with it.  Shockingly she ate the chicken, which had a dominant lemon pepper flavor.  

All in all a good meal that I would at to our occasional list.  

1 comment:

  1. This one looks really yummy!! When we can incorporate sour cream back into dinner, I'm making it!

    ReplyDelete