Monday, May 18, 2009

Second Night

As I type I am listening to hubby and daughter play hide-n-seek in the back yard.  I love spring evenings.  

Hubby feels that a year is a rather lofty goal.  We have agreed upon 30 days.  After those 30 days we will review and see if we can go another 30.  

Tonight's Dinner
Grilled Shrimp and Honey Glazed Carrots

I purchased marked down shrimp already on skewers from Kroger and froze them but any garden variety shrimp on a skewer would work.  I think it is easier to grill shrimp attached to something!

I seasoned the shrimp with Chesapeake Bay style seasoning, Kroger brand again.  This would be the same as Old Bay... but I am cheap!

Grill shrimp on each side for two to three minutes.  Serve hot.

For the carrots I boiled 1/2 bag a baby carrots approximately six minutes. The phone rang so give or take a minute.  They would have been better steamed, but a las I do not have a steamer.  
For the sauce melt one teaspoon of butter in a sauce pan, add three tablespoons of honey and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Mix well.  Drain carrots and mix sauce with carrots. Salt and Pepper to taste. 

Outcome:  Hubby and I really enjoyed this less than thirty minute meal.  Easy preparation, easy clean up.  We even dined outside. 

Child's opinion:  Said child felt the shrimp were a little spicy.  She wiped the seasoning on her paper towel, ahem napkin.  She did eat three servings of the carrots, a new record.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! I'm enjoying the new ideas. I think we eat the same things over and over. C can eat bowls of carrots - I usually put some brownsugar in the pan and let it melt. Just because we had to cut out the butter.
    I'm looking forward to more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, that is a good idea. I never thought about brown sugar. I will try that. We need to cut out butter. I have been using real, because it is just that, real, but it is so bad for us. Do you use any substitute, is there one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I agree with you on the real butter. I just don't see how the substitutes can be better for you than real. I don't care what they say. I bought Margarine ONCE for a birthday cake for C and it was a disaster! So I guess I'm not much help on that front. I've just started cutting it out. Like I found that if I didn't cook the vegetables to death (like my mother/grandmother ;) ) they are actually still sweet and really good without butter on them. Shocking, I know! Or I use olive oil for things - which it looks like you use too right? I miss cheese the most. But 2 more months and J is one -YEAH!

    ReplyDelete